Monday 9 January 2012

CELEBRATING MY TEACHERS.



Teachers affect destiny, so the saying goes. It is not just an old adage. The impact of a good teacher on her apprentices is without measure. I have been lucky to have met some very remarkable teachers in life and I choose to celebrate them on this platform.
Start with the childhood. I don’t remember exactly when I met Mrs. Ngotho for the first time. I should have marked that moment. She was to remain my class teacher for the next eight years. A really amazing teacher who powerfully influenced those of us who were placed in her keen watch. For other kids at Gatiiguru Primary School, we were considered unfortunate for having fallen into the hands of such a demanding disciplinarian. It was not for nothing that madam got the soubriquet “lion of Judah”.
I really didn’t need to fear her unrelenting cane. I was most of the times in her good books. Credit to my dad who worked hard to ensure that I and my siblings grew up properly trimmed. It doesn’t mean that madam was  impartial in the implementation of discipline. I also got a few incidences when my hands got ‘hot’ from the thrashing of her rod. But that was not all about her. She was my teacher of English for most of my years in primary school. At some point she also taught me Mathematics. Her dedication to the service left an indelible impression in my life. I remember visiting her at a school where she was the head when I faced some difficulties in my undergrad. Without elaborating too much, I must say that I got a mentor and a friend in that honorable lady.
The late Mr. Maina J.E. was the principal of Githumu high school starting from 1991.I joined the school at a time when the discipline and the academic performance of the school was quite wanting. I remember the taunts of some neighboring schools that used to say that ours was a ‘sleeping giant’.
I and my colleagues kind of conspired to cooperate with the principal. Saying that Mr. Maina was hard working would at best be an understatement. Many were the days when we would find him late in the night hunting after truants. The efforts of the bespectacled deft man were rewarded when my cohort sat for the KCSE to achieve quite outstanding results.
Two teachers at Moi University easily became my favourites. Mr. Jack Lumallas taught me History of Education. I have a soft spot for history and the teacher was quick to notice my passion. I should mention here that Lumallas was so much resembled Kenya’s first president, Jomo Kenyatta that he was popularly known as ‘Kenyatta’ among the students. He used to adorn bangles and necklaces made of African beads which all the more exaggerated that resemblance to the ‘burning spear.’ Seeing my passion for history, Jack once lent me his unpublished manuscript of a history of education book to use during revision for the end of semester exams. Needless to say, my interaction with ‘Kenyatta’ made my stay at Moi much more fruitful.
The late Mr. Mugondo was a teacher of philosophy of education. In class, my classmates must remember how Mr.Mugondo would poke fun on his own physique. I got to interact with the ‘sage’ as I undertook the teaching practice at Sirikwa Secondary School in Eldoret. After the session, we would meet to evaluate my performance near his car at the parking bay. It was his turn to make fun on me and we both enjoyed the banter. I became a better teacher following his sustained counsel.
A narration of my stay at Sirikwa Secondary School would be incomplete without a mention of a certain Mr.Elijah. He was a long serving Chemistry teacher in the school and I learnt a lot of adroitness in the trade from him. For that I am forever grateful.
In the course of my practice I was privileged to have met another extraordinary teacher. I met the late Mr.Nderitu, formerly the director of Pink Roses academy in teachers’ in-service training seminars popularly known as SMASSE.
Many teachers have a very negative attitude towards the seminars. I did not allow the negativity to dampen my enthusiasm. While I don’t agree with all that is taught at SMASSE or even the way it is implemented, I still find it beneficial to participate in the training. Mr.Nderitu was a trainer with many years of experience in teaching Chemistry. He portrayed a rare blend of subject mastery and people skills.      We together conducted a number of experiments very much to my own benefit.
Professor G.Nagendrappa is the professor of Inorganic Chemistry at the University Of Mysore, India. He was the serving Chairman of the Department of Chemistry in the University from 2008-2011. (The Chairmanship of the department rotates among the professors in the department on a 3 year term.)When I call the benign professor ‘appa’, Kannadda for ‘father’ it is not an exaggeration. Professor GN is not only highly knowledgeable in his area but also very willing to share the knowledge with his apprentices. He has an intelligent way of incorporating contemporary issues into his teaching which makes his class all the more interesting. He supervised my thesis project and in the process passed on to me his knowledge, passion and compassion. I also got lots of insight from smt. Sheila and smt. Alumello, both of whom were PhD scholars under the professor.
All these teachers and many others made important contributions to what I am and to what I intend to become. Some of these teachers even influenced me into the choice of teaching as a career. I consider myself lucky to have met not only humane but also highly competent teachers. 
I have been a teacher for more than a decade now. I am not yet contented with the results that I have posted in the years. I must however say that I have tried to go that extra mile in terms of creativity and delivery for the sake of my students. The wisdom gleaned from my teachers has been useful in making me not only a better teacher but also a better person.
I have done my small part to impact the lives of my students during my teaching career. I however am aware that I have a wide room for improvement. I will appreciate your suggestions and comments on this platform.

No comments:

Post a Comment